The PEF’s eclectic collection of models and teaching aids consists of relief maps of the ‘Great Map’ of the Survey of Western Palestine and Jerusalem in various forms and sizes, dating from the 1880s. The models include a 17th century Franciscan model of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in olive wood and mother of pearl and shell inlay (as it appeared between 1554-1719).
Left: Franciscan model of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in olive wood, ivory and mother of pearl. 17th Century.
There are also 19th century models of Herod’s Temple by J.M. Tenz (1890s) and of the Haram al-Sharif by C.R. Schick (1890s). A collection of large canvas backed maps and picture illustrations based on PEF research is formed of teaching aids that were used for past lectures and classes.
Right: Model of the Herodian Temple Mount by J. M. Tenz, dating to the 1890s.
Rehav Rubin, 2006. Relief Maps and Models in the Archives of The Palestine Exploration Fund in London. Palestine Exploration Quarterly 138, 1: 43-63.
The Palestine Exploration Fund, 2 Hinde Mews, Marylebone Lane, London, W1U 2AA
Tel: +44 (0)20 7935 5379 | Fax: +44 (0)20 7486 7438 | Email: ExecSec@PEF.org.uk
Registered company: 13606 | Registered charity: 212538