The Palestine Exploration Fund

Search the PEF

Jerusalem’s First Mosque & the Entrance to Bayt al-Maqdis in the 7th century

Beatrice St. Laurent, Bridgewater State University will give this year's Iain Browning Memorial Lecture

 

4pm, 7th May  2015, BP Lecture Theatre, Clore Education Centre, British Museum. To book, contact the British Museum Box Office:  020 7323 8181 or www.britishmuseum.org

Poster May 7th 2015.pdf

PEF 150TH ANNIVERSARY LECTURE SERIES

In Association with the British Museum Department of Middle East

Supported by the Wellcome Trust and Maney Publishing

 

PEF-P2129 The South Eastern end of the Haram Enclosure

PEF-P-2129: The South-Eastern end of the Haram Enclosure, photographed by James Graham, 1853-9. PEF Collections

 

Summary

The architectural projects of Mu’awiya the first Umayyad caliph of Jerusalem between 638 when he became governor of Jerusalem until his death as caliph (660-680). Muslims arrived in Jerusalem in 637/638 and Mu’awiya was appointed governor of Greater Syria and he constructed Jerusalem’s 1st mosque (639-660) for his investiture as caliph in 660. Sometime between 640 and 680 he also planned and began construction of the Dome of the Rock (completed later by 692 by ‘Abd al-Malik). This might point to his intentions of establishing Jerusalem as his administrative center and capital.
This is groundbreaking research challenging most previous scholarship on the topic and also the Dome’s legacy as the oldest surviving Islamic monument. Further, this research alters the traditional view of how the Muslim conquest is viewed from a period of violent conquest to one of a benevolent and peaceful transition from Byzantine Christian rule to Muslim control, a time when Jews were allowed to move back to Jerusalem, and also when all were allowed access to the former Temple Mount and new Muslim sanctuary.


The Palestine Exploration Fund, 2 Hinde Mews, Marylebone Lane, London, W1U 2AA
Tel: +44 (0)20 7935 5379 | Fax: +44 (0)20 7486 7438 | Email: ExecSec@PEF.org.uk
Registered company: 13606 | Registered charity: 212538